Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Salute to All Gang Bangers


I was on a close friend of mine's blog (thefourthjames.tumblr.com), and came across this letter. I got angrier and angrier as I read through it, but at the same time I realized that it's true. Black on black violence is something that I'm very aware of, and very upset with. What the letter says is exactly what I've been thinking--that the black community is suppressing OURSELVES, and doing to ourselves what we fought so hard to break free from. Maybe I'm just more aware these days, but it seems like now, the violence is getting more and more out of hand. Letters like this make us look like downright fools, and it's sad because it's true. I feel like the black community is the most held back out of all the others, and for the most part, it's brought upon ourselves. We're killing each other. 

Blacks have come a very long way, but it's clear that we still have a very long way to go. I think that racism and the historic misconception that the lighter the skin, the better, has brainwashed some blacks to an unacceptable extent. It's ridiculous that kids would rather have light skin and long, straight hair, and that blacks look at other blacks with upturned noses as if they're better, and that blacks are killing other blacks for no reason. It's gotten to the point where blacks are aware of the stereotypes and the racism and the notions that we're all violent and ignorant, and are just like fuck it, we'll live up to that shit. But the goal should be to prove everyone wrong, to show the people who try and hold blacks down that we are above the negative perceptions.

I could literally go on all day about this, because it's something that really gets to me. I just hope that this letter is a wake-up call to whoever reads it, and things change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment